Freewrite 1: Anatomical Pincushions (1/x)

Liza reached her hand into the box of anatomical pincushions and pulled out a heart. She took my arm and placed it in my hand. The red material felt hard and dry against my open palm.

"Thank you for a wonderful night."

"Well thank you for not handing me a stuffed vagina," I responded, nodding towards the box, which contained a plush selection of hearts, boobs, and genitalia. She let out a high-pitched choked laugh, which caused several college kids to momentarily glance in our direction before continuing to mill about the various cardboard booths depicting artistic and informational renderings of university sex life.

I thought about the attention her laughter never failed to draw, how her piercing outbursts may have made her an easy target for ridicule in a previous world. I thought about how despite this, Liza exuded as much confidence as she did unapology: she proclaimed her joy vigorously and aggressively, which seemed to reward her with much more admiration than derision from friends and suitors. Suitors such as myself.

"So I have to ask," she said, picking up the paper crane I folded for her out of a pink pamphlet titled ten ways to distinguish consent, "

...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem 1: Scared beyond measure

Four Months